Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Waiting

So I have been informed that I will not be moving into my site until thursday because of the end of Ramadan festivities. This is cool with me since I think it would have been hectic to move in during the festivities anyways. SO I am in Labe for another night. It is kind of nice to get that extra day to relax before moving in .

Today I went shopping for even more stuff that I will need at my site. I bought a tea kettle and some more plastic storage baskets. I really have no idea what I am doing. I have never really lived by myself before and I dont even know what my house looks like so it makes it kind of hard to buy things/. THat and the fact that buying anything here requires a semi chaotic search in the market where you must constantly keep your eyes open for pick pockets.

I am somewhat excited to be moving into my village soon and also really nervouse. I have this semi irrational fear of starvation , I have no idea why,,,well maybe its because I have never lived in a placed before where i cannot just walk down the block and buy food or open my fridge and have tons of food stored. I mean the idea of having to bike however many kilometeres once a week to buy food scares me and what if i run out of food in the middle of the week then what. I know it is an irrational fear because if worse comes to worse, guineans are very hospital people and i could just eat with my host family, but i am still a bit paranoid...perhaps its the malaria medication kicking in again. Yes the mefloquine medication I am in def. makes me have irrational anxiouty and hallucinations....I mean it is nothing out of control...but it definetely does happen. Last night I was convinced that another volunteer had given me a blancket with a spider on it and i kept looking for the spider for like hours...i would wake up and keep thinking the spider was going to bite me...it wasnt until morning that i was able to rationalize that there was no spider and that no one had offered me a blanket in the middle of the nite....this is like the third time i have nightmares with spiders....and the thing is that i never really had an irrational fear of spiders to begin with...so who knows. I also get insomnia from the medication...personally i prefer the hallucinations.

I dont know the next time i will update this because i dont think i will be in labe again until thanksgiving. some people are coming down for halloween but i dont think i will be able to. chances are i wont be able to update until christmas in conakry because thanksgiving is a short break and i wont have the time i am sure.

I feel that i need an amusing story, Okay...so there is this giant cow that always hangs out in the middle of a main road in labe...he was there when i came for site visit...and he is still there now. It is like in the center of the traffic circle eating god knows what....I am surprised that with all the crazy motorist there are here, it hasnt gotten run over yet...

okay i should go...tired of sitting in the internet cafe....i want to go get some delicious riz gras....until next time

1 comment:

edie said...

I'm just wondering if you're still in Guinea ? We haven't heard anything from you ....

interested reader, e